Sunday, November 10, 2013

Photo of the Day #23: The Frozen Link


I was in Kuopio, Finland at the end of April 2005, teaching chemistry to medical student wannabes on a prep course. I have to say that the experience wasn't all positive, as it seems that the kids had high expectations of results, but not always the matching motivation to study as hard as they should.

Anyhow the courses ran over two days per week and I had to take the train to get to Kuopio from Tampere, so I had plenty of time to see the town. As the town is at the latitude of 62°53′33″N, roughly on the same latitude as Nuuk, Greenland; Reykjavik, Iceland and Fairbanks, Alaska, it takes some time for the spring to arrive. The waterways were still mostly frozen, so I got some nice photos of ice in the spring sun.

For the life of me, I can't remember where the chain was connected to -probably a boat or a pier.

No comments: