Thursday, December 05, 2013

Photo of the Day #48: An Icy Dip


Today's photo is another photo from Rauhaniemi, with it's imposing granite rocks making it at first glance a less than obvious place for a dip in the lake. There is also a sandy beach, but these are the steps for those avanto swimmers, who brave the icy waters in the winter and dip into the near-frozen water kept open for anyone willing to take the plunge.

Now that I think of it I do recall using the Rauhaniemi sauna and I have definitely swam in Näsijärvi, but perhaps I haven't swam in this particular spot during the hole-in-the-ice (avanto) season of circa December to April. Otherwise I guess I take an icy plunge approximately once a year, although there has been a bit of a pause lately...

P.S. The exposure is ten seconds (and the previous Rauhaniemi Photo was six seconds, not minutes).

No comments: