Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Photo of the Day #61: A Mermaid in the Shadows


After a well deserved Christmas break, I'm back posting photos of the day. I try to catch up, but we'll see whether I'll be able to. Additionally I plan to post pictures of recent events, with themes much more close to each other than before.

Today's photo is a Danish classic. The Little Mermaid, written by H.C. Andersen, and of course made even more popular by Disney, is an odd landmark in Copenhagen. Despite all the tourist guidebooks warning tourists that the minuscule statue is located at an unremarkable edge of the city and isn't much to behold, there is a constant stream of tourist flogging to see it and photograph it.

We were there just before this Christmas, just about at the time of the winter solstice, and there was absolutely no chance of seeing it well lit, so we chose not to stress about it. After a day roaming around the city, we headed for the Kastellet, where we knew we would find the statue. However somebody thought that lighting the path to the statue would be too much of a bother, so we stumbled a bit in the dark, until we noticed a crowd of people in a shadowy corner.

There were half a dozen people taking photos in the dark of a statue of a small girl, just because they knew what it was supposed to represent. We waited a while for our turn and photographed other things in the dark and as the people had left, I set up my tripod an saw what I could make of the girl of stone.

The girl looks forlornly into the distance, waiting for something better. I guess this is as good as I could make the statue to be.

P.S. This is for December 19th.

No comments: