Sunday, June 03, 2012

Géougue de Tortes, near the village of Gourette, France. The peak in front is Péne Sarriére.
This is a modest rebirth of my  photoblog, which has  lain dormant for the last five years. I guess the major reason for this was the lack of any goal, or any idea what I wanted to say in the blog.


Well now that so many years have passed and I have amassed a huge portfolio of photos, it is much easier to find an focus to the blog: I've decided to tell stories of the pictures with a slight National Geographic touch.


My wife Milka, lit by the setting sun.
I imagine that most people who read my blog at the moment are friends and acquaintances, but just to be on the safe side, I'll tell something of myself. I'm not a professional photographer,  even though I've been taking pictures as a side business from time to time. I mostly take pictures of things that have some kind of a emotional connection to myself. I wouldn't say that all of my pictures are successful, or very gripping, but for me to post an image here, it has had to have a WOW-effect on me. I'm a chemist by profession, so I have a slight scientific bent on the process of taking pictures, but I do not revel in talking endless drivel about the settings or which camera gear I've used. Of course I've had to study all kinds of techniques and invest in equipment that allows for me to take the sort of pictures that I enjoy. But I only get interested in technique and/or gear, if I'm not able to take the photos I wan't without them.


I've traveled around the World (mostly Europe, though) for my work and just for fun, and I'll be posting pictures from all over in the near future. However I'm a Finn and live in Finland at the moment, so in the end I will focus on my native land the most. After all it's the place I know the best.

The pictures you see above are from the Pyrenees in France. I lived right next to them in Pau, a small city which they call "Pau Porte des Pyrenees". Whatever else I might have to say about France, I have to admit that the weather was almost always nice and the scenery spectacular.

If I am able keep my resolution, I will try to post something new at least every week.

No comments: